So this is one I’ve had going for a little while. I started with a old ax I found at an antique store. Rusty, dented, handle was warped, in general pretty bad shape. That’s why someone thought it should be a wall hanging instead of a tool.
Far right I cleaned off the rust, touched it up a bit with my files but realized it was slow going, and put it up until I had some better equipment.
Middle, I finally got an angle grinder. Really started changing the shape and removing some of the mass. I understand that as a woodcutting ax, that weight can be helpful, but I did want something potentially lighter to carry as a pack ax, and I did want to give it more of a unique look.
Far right is the most recent. i took most of the butt off of it. Might not be as good for a splitting wedge now, but as I don’t have one of those I figured I could shed more weight that way. I know I also gave it a little more of that viking bearded ax look, but I am afraid I’ve started removing too much to give it a reliable surface. Still new to the metal working, so getting the feel for it, and my tools. Still kinda like how its turning out though.